Associate HR Business Partner (Part Time)
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory has a new opening for a part-time Associate HR Business Partner to provide Human Resources support and consultation to our Energy Services Area and its four divisions: the Advanced Light Source, Chemical Sciences, Molecular Foundry, and Materials Sciences. This position will work closely with the Staff and Senior HR Business Partners to provide effective consultative and tactical HR expertise to support Division managers and employees across a broad range of HR needs, with a focus on the Energy Sciences academic population (i.e., Postdoctoral Fellows, Graduate Student Research Assistants, and Student Assistants). The ideal candidate has hands-on experience performing HR actions across the employee lifecycle, is knowledgeable of applicable employment policy, laws and collective bargaining agreements, and is comfortable providing both consultative and tactical support.
This is a great opportunity to work with an experienced HR team to expand your HR skills and build a rewarding career with a highly regarded research institution!
What You Will Do:
- Partnerships & Relationships – Provide consistent HR expertise to support Division managers and employees to find appropriate resources for meeting organizational goals. Build credibility and trust by resolving employee concerns through reliable and prompt resolution, clear documentation and follow-through. Partner effectively with functional HR groups, including HR Shared Services Center, Talent Acquisition, Compensation & Benefits, Employee & Labor Relations, Diversity Equity & Inclusion and Learning & Development.
- HR Policy & Procedures – Interpret and apply LBNL policies and practices as well as federal, state and local employment laws and collective bargaining agreements in support of Division objectives. Strive for a consistent approach in the application of HR procedures and practices across all client groups.
- Compensation – Provide compensation support by reviewing position descriptions to ensure duties and qualifications are aligned with the appropriate job classification. Under the guidance of the Senior HR Business Partner, conduct job audits and reclassification reviews and support the entire annual salary administration process.
- Performance Management – In collaboration with the Senior HR Business Partner, provide performance management review, evaluation and support to supervisors and employees. Play a key role in the annual performance review process and act as a liaison between HR, the Division and other collaborators.
- Talent Acquisition / Workforce Planning – Partner with management and HR leaders to develop and implement workforce plans that ensure success for the long term.
- Learning & Organizational Development – Coordinate training in support of Division learning and development initiatives.
- Diversity, Equity & Inclusion – Provide support to Divisions’ initiatives related to the Lab diversity, equity, and inclusion goals.
- Data Management – Develop, generate, and analyze reports, presentations and data obtained from HR systems to provide analytics, metrics, and trending information. Manage data integrity and work with the HR Assistant to ensure data entry and changes are accurately reflected in HRIS.
- Participate in Employee and Labor Relations investigations, as needed.
What is Required:
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business or related discipline or equivalent experience/training.
- A minimum of 2 years of work experience in a variety of HR functional areas.
- Knowledge of HR industry practices with general experience in the areas of compensation, benefits, recruitment, employee/labor relations, training and development, and federal and state employment laws (e.g., FLSA, FMLA/CFRA, ADA, EEO/AA).
- Adaptability and capability to learn the business of varied scientific client groups, as well as to support multiple management styles.
- Demonstrated experience as a team player.
- Demonstrated experience providing guidance and consultation regarding policy and procedures to staff at all levels.
- Strong attention to detail and planning, organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills. Ability to work independently and effectively plan and prioritize work to accomplish multiple projects with competing deadlines.
- Excellent verbal and written communication, interpersonal and customer service skills, and demonstrated ability to proactively service a large, multi-faceted and diverse organization.
- Strong technical skills, including experience with Microsoft Office, collaboration tools, HR management systems and other HR software. PeopleSoft and Taleo experience are a plus.
- Experience working as an HR generalist or partner embedded in a business unit.
- Experience working in an academic or research organization.
- For full consideration, please submit your application by March 11, 2022.
- This is a part-time career appointment (20 hours per week), eligible for benefits, and exempt (monthly paid) from overtime pay.
- This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
- This position is eligible for a hybrid work schedule – a combination of teleworking and performing work on site at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA. Work schedules are dependent on business needs. A hybrid work schedule may be possible depending on specific client needs; individuals working a hybrid schedule must reside within 150 miles of Berkeley Lab.
Based on University of California Policy – SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program and U.S Federal Government requirements, Berkeley Lab requires that all members of our community obtain the COVID-19 vaccine as soon as they are eligible. As a condition of employment at Berkeley Lab, all Covered Individuals must Participate in the COVID-19 Vaccination Program by providing proof that vaccination requirements have been met or submitting a request for Exception or Deferral. Visit for more information.
Berkeley Lab is committed to and strives to continue building community with these shared values and commitments. Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We heartily welcome applications from women, minorities, veterans, and all who would contribute to the Lab’s mission of leading scientific discovery, inclusion, and professionalism. In support of our diverse global community, all qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status.
Equal Opportunity and IDEA Information Links:
Know your rights, click for the supplement: Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law and the under 41 CFR 60-1.4.