Department HR Specialist
Sch Engr Matter Trnsprt Energy
The School for Engineering of Matter, Transport and Energy (SEMTE) in the Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering is seeking to fill the position of Department Human Resources Specialist. This position is the primary point of contact in SEMTE for graduate student and hourly student employees and will provide human resources and administrative support for SEMTE. Under general supervision; the incumbent will be responsible for performing a variety of daily payroll and human resources functions in a complex academic unity with significant research and instructional emphasis.
The successful candidate must be skilled in maintaining effective working relationships among a diverse population, able to provide excellent customer service, skilled in handling confidential and sensitive information and work effectively in an environment subject to quickly changing priorities. This position requires prior experience in Human Resources and knowledge of electronic data processing and applications as it applies to human resources, knowledge of academic and university policies and procedures and must be skilled in the ability to identify and implement best practices and procedures.
- Activities are performed in an environmentally controlled office setting subject to extended periods of sitting and keyboarding.
- May be required to stand for varying lengths of time and walk moderate distances to perform work.
- Bending, lifting, reaching and pushing up to 20 pounds.
- Regular activities require ability to quickly change priorities which may include and/or are subject to resolution of conflicts.
- Communicate to perform essential functions.
- Regular use of standard office equipment including, but not limited to: computer workstation/laptop (keyboard, monitor, mouse), printer, fax, calculator, copier, telephone and associated computer/technology peripherals.
- This position receives regular review of objectives by department administrator.
Bachelor’s degree in a field appropriate to the area of assignment AND two (2) years of related experience; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience, and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
Scope of Search
- Work experience in a higher education environment
- Experience with PeopleSoft HR system
- Experience with Kenexa BrassRing for hiring purposes
- Experience and understanding of record keeping/retention and ensuring adherence with policies, practices, and regulations
- Experience in a customer service focused position
- Experience processing payroll transactions
- Experience processing DTA/time for large department
- Experience in a high work volume environment managing multiple tasks and priorities
- Evidence of effective verbal and written communication skills
- Experience using Microsoft Office applications (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Outlook) and Adobe PDF
Grant Funded Position
This is not a grant funded position and is not contingent on future grant funding.
- Processes a heavy volume of payroll transactions and activities for new and existing employees which including graduate student and hourly student worker hires and terminations.
- Creates and sends offer letters on behalf of SEMTE, enters tuition waivers and awards such as UGF for graduate students.
- Creates and modifies positions and account funding;
- Manages Department Time Administration (DTA) process for SEMTE
- Creates and maintains spreadsheets used for payroll and hiring and manages FSE Dean’s Fellowship records and verifies correct funding.
- Runs reports including dashboards, queries in Amazon Work Spaces and checks records to provide data and information used for decision making.
- Responsible for ACA tracking and communicates issues with students and supervisors;.
- Provides input and feedback on human resource processes, procedures, internal controls, and payroll quality for SEMTE.
- Utilizes Kenexa BrassRing for hiring hourly student workers including research student workers and instructional support student workers.
- Assists with visa processes including J1 and H-1B by providing administrative support and tracking;
- Compiles source documents and other media for payroll reconciliations and responds to questions and additional requests including payroll audits.
- Resolves and investigates payroll discrepancies using reporting tools (Amazon Workspaces, Dashboards, etc.) and works as a liaison between SEMTE, ASU Human Resources and Financial Services to reach a solution and process needed transactions when applicable.
- Maintains retention of appropriate hard and electronic personnel and financial records based on ASU OHR, Financial, Research, State and Federal guidelines.
- May supervise student workers or oversee student worker tasks.
- Participates in a variety of school, college, and university-wide initiatives and meetings to represent unit interests in the area of human resources and financial services, and to ensure an integrative/collaborative support of college and university interests;.
- Works closely with school administration, ASU OHR, and Financial Services to develop and implement all departmental human resource activities to ensure adherence and compliance of college and university policies, practices and regulations.
- Monitors SEMTE HR inbox and other duties as assigned.
$37,440 – $52,000 per year; DOE
Instructions to Apply
Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
A complete application includes: a cover letter, resume, and the names, addresses and phone numbers of three professional references included on the resume attachment.
Please include all employment information in month/year format (e.g., 6/88 to 8/94), job title, job duties and name of employer for each position.
Resume should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.
ASU does not pay for travel expenses associated with interviews, unless otherwise indicated.
Only electronic applications are accepted for this position
Arizona State University