HR Business Partner
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory has an opening for an HR Business Partner to provide full-cycle Human Resources support and consultation to managers, supervisors and employees in assigned Scientific and/or Operations Divisions. In partnership with the Senior HR Business Partner, you will provide expertise and anticipate challenges, diagnose problems, and implement HR programs that have a direct impact on the success of the organization in the areas of workforce planning, recruitment, employee engagement, performance management, employee & labor relations, leave management, diversity, equity & inclusion (DEI) and talent development. As the client relationship manager between your client groups and HR functions, you will frequently partner with other HR subject matter expert colleagues when rolling out solutions, ensuring a seamless customer experience for all levels of the organization.
This is a great opportunity to work with an experienced HR team to contribute your HR expertise in support of world-class science and build a rewarding career with a highly regarded research institution!
What You Will Do:
- Partnerships & Relationships – Build strong and effective relationships with managers/supervisors, and employees to become a trusted and respected partner and coach. Build and leverage relationships with HR functional teams (e.g., Talent, DEI, Systems, Compensation & Benefits, Employee & Labor, Learning & Organizational Development, Integrated Disability & Absence Management, HR Shared Services, Payroll) as well as Operations Business Partners (e.g., Legal, Environmental, Health and Safety, Finance, Assurance, Audit, Informational Technology).
- Workforce Planning – Advise managers/supervisors on the development and implementation of division workforce planning and restructuring, and successful execution of recruiting and staffing programs to support business objectives.
- Learning & Organizational Development – Implement talent review processes, succession planning and monitor individual development. Assess organizational and individual staff development needs and develop and conduct relevant training.
- Talent Acquisition – Partner, advise and provide guidance to hiring managers/supervisors on recruitment strategies to attract top talent and ensure a positive candidate experience, and collaborate with the Talent Acquisition team to establish plans for sourcing and educating management on best practices. For scientific and engineering (S&E) and other promotional and hire cases, oversee the administrative process from beginning to end, while partnering with key stakeholders and using independent judgement to provide guidance and help streamline processes.
- Compensation – Perform timely and accurate salary analysis for pay actions, including hires, classification, reclassifications, job audits and equity adjustments. Play a key role in the annual salary management process while working in close collaboration with the Senior HR Business Partner.
- Performance Management – Provide performance management support to supervisors and employees, including constructive and candid feedback to managers/supervisors about talent moves, gaps, promotions and growth opportunities. Lead annual performance process, support the compensation review process, and act as a liaison between HR and the Division.
- Diversity, Equity & Inclusion – Partner with our DEI Office to implement DEI initiatives within the Division.
- Data Management – Develop, generate, and analyze reports and data from HR systems to provide analytics, metrics, and trending information. Manage data integrity, and prepare custom presentations and summary reports.
- HR Policy/Compliance – Interpret and apply Berkeley Lab policies and practices as well as federal, state, local employment laws and collective bargaining agreements in support of Division objectives.
What is Required:
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business or a relevant discipline and a minimum of 5 years of related work experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Working knowledge of multiple human resource disciplines, including compensation, benefits, recruiting, training and development, employee/labor relations, performance management, and worker’s compensation and absence management, as well as federal and state employment laws (e.g. FLSA, FMLA/CFRA, ADA, EEO/AA).
- Strong business acumen and an ability to understand the Division’s strategy and challenges. Demonstrated experience providing guidance and consultation regarding policy and procedures to staff at all levels.
- Strong problem-solving, analytical, planning and organizational skills in order to work independently and effectively plan and prioritize work to accomplish multiple projects with competing deadlines and drive appropriate solutions.
- Excellent verbal and written communication, interpersonal and customer service skills and demonstrated ability to proactively service a large, multi-faceted and diverse organization.
- Demonstrated ability to adapt to change and actively support change initiatives in a positive manner.
- Strong technical skills, including experience with Microsoft Office and/or Google collaboration tools, HR management systems and other HR software. PeopleSoft, Taleo, Oracle HCM a plus.
- Experience working in an HR functional role and/or at least 1 year working as an HR partner embedded in a business unit.
- Experience working in a union environment.
- SPHR, SHRM-SCP or other HR certifications.
- This is a full-time career appointment, exempt (monthly paid) from overtime pay.
- This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
- Work will be primarily performed at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. Berkeley Lab is in compliance with the under 41 CFR 60-1.4. Click to view the poster and supplement: “Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law.”