21220BR Financial Aid Counselor
Financial Aid & Scholarships
The Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships reports to the Vice Provost for Enrollment Management which includes the following functional units: Office of Undergraduate Admissions, Office of Graduate Admissions, Financial Aid and Scholarships, Student Information Systems and the Office of the University Registrar.
The University of Kansas Lawrence Campus office of Financial Aid and Scholarships (FAS) serves students, families, and the community by providing federal, state, and institutional financial aid information and resources to assist students in achieving their educational goals. FAS is committed to providing quality financial aid services to its constituents while maintaining accountability in the administration of public, institutional, and private financial aid funds. Services are designed to support the educational goals of the individual student and the goals of the university as they relate to retention and graduation.
This position provides quality service to prospective and current students, requiring strong public communication and writing skills. Financial aid staff members must possess the ability to understand, interpret, and effectively administer financial aid programs governed by the Federal Higher Education Amendments (HEOA), as well as other federal, state, institutional and private financial aid regulations and policies.
- Educates prospective and current students regarding school-related financial aid including the application and awarding process, budgeting and the securing of resources to meet expenses.
- Manages student caseload by engaging in proactive outreach. Outreach campaigns will encompass students with barriers to packaging and disbursement (verification, missing documents) as well as students with outstanding balances.
- Serve as primary point of contact students, families, University colleagues, and other parties in appointments, over the phone, and via email regarding scholarship and financial aid programs and processes.
- Conducts on-campus and off-campus financial aid and scholarship information programs, high school visitations, joint Admissions/Financial Aid & Scholarship programs, and summer orientation programs (requires some evening and weekend hours).
10%Supports Financial Aid Processes
- Processes requests related to Need Analysis, Fee Waivers, Verification of Aid, NPY Hold Releases, Budget Adjustments and Reinstatement of Aid. Requires extreme accuracy and professional judgment.
- Serves as a back-up for processing KUEA loans and completes other processing tasks as assigned.
5%Other Duties as Assigned
- Active participant on the EM committees and task forces as assigned.
- Provides support for the website, social media, and/or the development of publication s in collaboration with the Communications Assistant Director.
- Assumes additional responsibilities as assigned by Associate Director
Required Qualifications * Bachelor’s degree by the time of appointment.
- Effective written communication skills as evidenced by application materials.
Preferred Qualifications * Minimum one year experience in financial aid, scholarship, admissions, advising, or other area related to student support services.
- Demonstrated strong customer service skills.
- Demonstrated effective oral communication skills, including conducting presentations.
- Computer proficiency with word processing, spreadsheets, databases and presentation software.
Contact Information to Applicants
Additional Candidate Instruction
For more information go to
The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression, and genetic information in the university’s programs and activities. Retaliation is also prohibited by university policy. The following persons have been designated to handle inquiries regarding the nondiscrimination policies and are the Title IX coordinators for their respective campuses: Director of the Office of Civil Rights & Title IX, firstname.lastname@example.org, Room 1082, Dole Human Development Center, 1000 Sunnyside Avenue, Lawrence, KS 66045, 785-864-6414, 711 TTY (for the Lawrence, Edwards, Parsons, Yoder, and Topeka campuses); Director, Equal Opportunity Office, Mail Stop 7004, 4330 Shawnee Mission Parkway, Fairway, KS 66205, 913-588-8011, 711 TTY (for the Wichita, Salina, and Kansas City, Kansas medical center campuses).