HR Service Center Specialist
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory has an opening for an HR Service Center Specialist to join the Human Resources Division. In this role, you will execute a variety of HR services through the HR Shared Service Center, ensuring service quality, accuracy, consistency, and effectiveness. Responsibilities include the analysis of data and transactions related to HR Shared Service Center functions/activities for employees, affiliates and contractors, ranging from hiring, onboarding, appointment changes and offboarding, as well as assisting with the development and execution of customer service based HR procedures and processes. The ideal candidate will apply their critical thinking skills and perform independently under general supervision for routine assignments and with detailed instructions for new projects and assignments.
What You Will Do:
- Organize, manage, and execute a wide variety of complex HR services and/or processes related to the development and operations of the HR Shared Service Center. Serve as the primary point of contact to oversee the effective execution of HR Shared Service Center services and specialized HR activities.
- Apply professional concepts to conduct analysis of current administrative systems and operations while performing daily tasks. Identify potential issues upon a review of various factors and exercise sound judgment in developing solutions and recommendations. Use discretion and sound judgment to communicate and escalate potential issues to the HR Service Center Manager.
- Execute the necessary steps to ensure New Hire Orientations are delivered professionally, timely and accurately as determined by the individuals in attendance. Represent Berkeley Lab and the HR Division by exhibiting a calm, welcoming, and friendly presence for all new hires, affiliates, and visitors.
- Develop working rapport with the Laboratory and University of California community and business partners (e.g., Badge Office, UCPath, other Campus Locations), while demonstrating excellent communications skills to further strengthen the perception of the HR Shared Service Center with a variety of stakeholders and constituents.
- Provide specialized support to the HR Service Center Manager and/or HR Business Process Manager as needed with organizing and updating procedures, processes, and customer services. Apply knowledge of program objectives as well as critical thinking and problem-solving skills to further develop the quality and consistency of services.
- Proactively look for continuous process improvement opportunities to ensure that processes, systems and procedures are as efficient, streamlined, and standardized as possible. Collect, track, and analyze data as well as feedback from customers (users) to assist in defining current and future state process flows. Serve as a process owner as assigned.
- Liaise with programmers and other technical staff to troubleshoot and resolve technical problems, determine methods for resolving issues as appropriate within defined procedures and practices, and deliver recommendations to HR Service Center Supervisor for program and process improvements.
- Interact with various leads to ensure efficient and effective process flow and completion of HR Shared Service Center activities.
- Prepare and present informational materials for the purpose of marketing and/or demonstrating services to potential users (e.g., division business managers, directors, administrative support personnel, employees).
- In conjunction with HR Service Center Manager, lead the training of backup resources to ensure that they can effectively execute HR Shared Service Center functions. Collaborate with HR Service Center Manager and colleagues to develop a rotational schedule for backup resources to ensure continuity of essential services.
What is Required:
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 2 years of related experience with providing a range of customer service-based HR services in a business environment; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated experience providing advanced-level and specialized customer service-based HR support services within a shared services, service center, customer contact center, or other similar service delivery structure, with ability to apply applicable professional concepts to resolve a variety of issues within defined procedures and policies.
- Proven ability to independently determine appropriate courses of action to resolve a variety of moderately complex problems, establish priorities, and perform multiple assignments simultaneously within defined procedures and deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to comprehend and analyze a variety of operational and administrative requirements or problems and propose creative alternatives or solutions. Ability to serve as a process owner for a variety of business processes.
- Advanced level of computer skills with ability to use advanced features of various software programs, including Google Workspace, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and electronic mail/calendaring systems. Advanced-level experience with HR database programs and HR Case Management systems.
- Strong attention to detail, effective organizational and analytical skills, with the ability to anticipate problems, take initiative, independently prioritize, problem solve and determine solutions to ensure completion of assignments in a timely manner, and to produce work with a high level of accuracy due to the extreme importance of accuracy and integrity of program work products.
- Ability to provide effective training and technical guidance to others, including documenting, designing and developing processes and job aids.
- Excellent customer service, interpersonal and communication skills; ability to establish collaborative working relationships and interact effectively and diplomatically with a broad range of personnel, including HR colleagues, Laboratory staff members (including scientists, engineers, administrative, and management), visitors, and external organizations.
- Ability to adapt to a fast-paced ever-changing environment where multitasking is a must while continuing to maintain a positive, constructive, and professional demeanor.
- Professional and specialized HR service delivery experience in a scientific / technical / research environment.
- Program and/or project coordination skills.
- For full consideration, please submit your resume and cover letter by September 21, 2021.
- This is a full-time career appointment, exempt (monthly paid) from overtime pay.
- This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
- Work will be primarily performed at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
Berkeley Lab is committed to and strives to continue building community with these shared values and commitments.
Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We heartily welcome applications from women, minorities, veterans, and all who would contribute to the Lab’s mission of leading scientific discovery, inclusion, and professionalism. In support of our diverse global community, all qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status.
Know your rights, click for the supplement: “Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law” and the under 41 CFR 60-1.4.