Senior HR Business Partner – Energy Sciences
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory is seeking a strategic Senior HR Business Partner to join our dynamic HR Division. As a key partner, you will deliver a full spectrum of both strategic and tactical HR support and provide consultation to employees and leaders in the Chemical and Materials Sciences Divisions in the Energy Sciences Area.
In this role, you will provide expertise and anticipate challenges, diagnose problems, and lead HR programs that have a direct impact on the success of the organization in the areas of workforce planning, recruitment, employee engagement, performance management, employee & labor relations, diversity, equity & inclusion (DEI) and talent development. As the client relationship manager between your client groups and HR functions, you will frequently partner with other HR subject matter expert colleagues when designing and rolling out solutions, ensuring a seamless customer experience for all levels of the organization.
This is an amazing opportunity to work with a collaborative HR team to contribute your HR expertise in support of Berkeley Lab’s mission of world-class team science in service to the nation, while building a rewarding career with a highly regarded research institution!
What You Will Do:
- Partnerships & Relationships – Build strong and effective relationships with senior leaders, managers and employees to become a trusted and respected partner and coach. Build and leverage relationships with HR functional teams (e.g., Talent, DEI, Systems, Compensation & Benefits, Employee & Labor Relations, Learning & Organizational Development) as well as Operations Business Partners.
- Workforce Planning – Advise leadership on the development and implementation of Division workforce planning and restructuring, and successful execution of recruiting and staffing programs to support business objectives.
- Learning & Organizational Development – Implement talent review processes, succession planning and monitor individual development. Assess organizational and individual staff development needs and develop and conduct relevant training; work in partnership with Learning & Organizational Development team on training design.
- Talent Acquisition – Partner, advise and provide guidance to division leadership on recruitment strategies to attract top talent and ensure a positive candidate experience, and collaborate with Talent Acquisition team to establish plans for sourcing and educating management on best practices.
- Employee & Labor Relations – In partnership with Employee and Labor Relations or our Investigations & Case Management Offices, manage employee relations issues and initiate appropriate resolution, including guiding managers and employees in facilitating solutions. Participate in labor/management actions, including negotiations, grievance, process and support.
- Compensation – Provide guidance on compensation-related programs and decisions, perform job classification audits and partner with management during annual compensation cycle and other salary actions, including equity and promotions.
- Performance Management – Coach, mentor and work with managers and leaders to navigate the performance management program and process.
- Diversity, Equity & Inclusion – Partner with our IDEA Office to implement DEI initiatives within the Division.
- Data Management – Champion the use of data to measure the effectiveness of HR practices and make changes as needed; prepare reports and conduct analysis.
- This position may have supervisory responsibilities for a small team ofHR professionals.
What is Required:
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business or related discipline or equivalent experience/training.
- A minimum of 8 years of progressive work experience in a wide variety of HR functional areas, with at least 3 years of experience as an HR Business Partner, Manager or equivalent.
- Working knowledge of multiple HR disciplines, including talent acquisition, compensation, learning and development, employee relations, DEI, performance management, and federal and state employment laws (e.g. FLSA, FMLA/CFRA, ADA, EEO/AA). Experience working in a functional role desired.
- Experience partnering with senior leadership to develop business and people strategies, with proven ability to drive and execute HR initiatives to achieve business objectives, including effective project management skills.
- Ability to build strong working relationships, trust and respect with management, co-workers, internal customers, and vendors/service providers.
- Ability to communicate effectively, including verbal, written and presentation skills. Demonstrative facilitation and coaching skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with proven ability to organize, analyze and present data.
- Excellent technical skills, including strong proficiency in business intelligence platforms and HR systems and demonstrated record of adaptability with new and emerging technologies.
Additional Desired Qualifications:
- Experience working in a research organization and/or supporting an organization experiencing rapid and complex change with effective change management.
- SPHR, SHRM-SCP or other HR certifications.
- Previous supervisory or team lead responsibility and demonstrated experience in effectively leading a small team performing HR support.
- Knowledge of HR Systems such as PeopleSoft, Taleo, Oracle HCM.
- Familiarity with Google applications and/or other collaborative tools.
- Experience working in a union environment, including supporting collective bargaining efforts with demonstrated ability to interpret/apply provisions of collective bargaining agreements to human resources actions.
- This is a full-time career appointment, exempt (monthly paid) from overtime pay.
- This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
- Work will primarily be performed at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA. A hybrid work schedule may be possible depending on specific client needs.
Learn About Us:
Berkeley Lab ( ) addresses the world’s most urgent scientific challenges by advancing sustainable energy, protecting human health, creating new materials, and revealing the origin and fate of the universe. Founded in 1931, Berkeley Lab’s scientific expertise has been recognized with 13 Nobel prizes. The University of California manages Berkeley Lab for the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science.
Working at Berkeley Lab has many rewards including a competitive compensation program, excellent health and welfare programs, a retirement program that is second to none, and outstanding development opportunities. To view information about the many rewards that are offered at Berkeley Lab-
Equal Employment Opportunity: Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. Berkeley Lab is in compliance with the under 41 CFR 60-1.4. Click to view the poster and supplement: “Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law.”